users@jms-spec.java.net

[jms-spec users] [jsr368-experts] Re: Advice: mirror on GitHub

From: Werner Keil <werner.keil_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2016 09:42:40 +0100

All,

I'd say licensing is not the most important aspect in this case.
What the JCP is often concerned about are IP or patent related aspects.
E.g. "Who contributed what".
Judging from all those projects already on GitHub, I can say, it is very
transparent and tells you about pretty much every bit of code somebody
contributed.
Thus, if you want to ensure, only EG members touch the code, PRs on GitHub
(or with any Git repository) should not be merged directly from
"outsiders". Otherwise the person shows as "contributor".
It may be a bit simpler with the new membership types JSR 364 will
introduce. Whether or not each contributor has to be listed on the JSR page
is up to the Spec Leads, but once a GitHub user signed the simplified new
"Contributor Agreement" he or she should be safe to merge from.

I am not one of the patent or legal folks there either, but take it as my
experience from EC duty all those years;-)

Werner