users@jms-spec.java.net

[jms-spec users] [jsr343-experts] Re: JMS_SPEC-89: Standard API to create and configure a ConnectionFactory

From: Nigel Deakin <nigel.deakin_at_oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2015 10:44:58 +0000

(Sorry for delay in replying)

On 09/03/2015 22:32, Clebert Suconic wrote:
> I remember in the earlier days of JMS2 spec we talked about a common
> way to instantiate a connection factory.

That's right, we did. I originally logged https://java.net/jira/browse/JMS_SPEC-46.

We did discuss these proposals at the time (as well as similar proposals for defining queue and topic objects), but we
got a bit bogged down and I didn't see much enthusiasm for them, so I dropped them.

I see I subsequently logged a simpler proposal as https://java.net/jira/browse/JMS_SPEC-89, though I'm not sure how much
discussion that proposal had at the time.

Your email (and others I have received) confirms the need for some kind of standard API, if only we could decide what it
should be, so, yes, the issue remains on the list of issues to consider for JMS 2.1 (starting very soon, I promise)

https://java.net/projects/jms-spec/pages/JMS21Planning#Major_issues_which_were_planned_for_JMS_2.0_but_which_couldn_t_be_completed_in_time.

Looking at JMS_SPEC-89, I see there are three parts of my proposal:

(1) a requirement for all connection factories to support a particular kind of constructor (taking a Properties object)
ConnectionFactory cf = new com.acme.jms.AcmeConnectionFactory(properties props);

(2) a *very* short set of standard property names (user,password,clientid,URL)

(3) a new factory class which, though not strictly necessary, makes it easier to avoid hardcoding JMS provider
classnames into the application.

I also added that this API was not for use by Java EE applications, since the JCA spec covers that aspect already.

I'd welcome other suggestions. For example, we could replace (1) with a simple requirement to support a no-arg
constructor, and to allow properties to be set using javabeans setters and getters. What do you think?

Nigel