users@jms-spec.java.net

[jms-spec users] [jsr368-experts] Re: Re: Re: [jsr343-experts] Re: JMS_SPEC-89: Standard API to create and configure a ConnectionFactory

From: Nigel Deakin <nigel.deakin_at_oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2015 17:06:48 +0000

On 17/03/2015 15:16, Clebert Suconic wrote:
> Why don't we just do what people have been doing with JDBC Driver for 10+ years.
>
> jdbc.Driver driver = Class.forInstance("class_name").newInstance(); //

The method on Class is forName, not newInstance, and returns an instance of Class, not an instance of the driver.

> whatever the API here
> driver.getConnectionFactory();
>
> or maybe we could do something new, and have this new class
> substituting the connection factory?

That is similar to what I was proposing:

javax.jms.ConnectionFactory factory = Class.forName("com.vendor.ConnectionFactory").newInstance();
javax.jms.Connection = factory.createConnection();

which is equivalent to

javax.jms.ConnectionFactory factory = new com.vendor.ConnectionFactory();
javax.jms.Connection = factory.createConnection();

The former usage has the advantage of avoiding compile-time dependencies on the JMS provider, but applications could use
either.

This leaves open the question of how you specify properties such as URL, user, password etc, which, if we're on the same
page so far, would be the next thing to consider.

Nigel