jsr343-experts@jms-spec.java.net

[jsr343-experts] Re: (JMS_SPEC-49) Improve specification of ExceptionListener

From: Nigel Deakin <nigel.deakin_at_oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2012 18:17:45 +0000

On 16/09/2011 15:34, Nigel Deakin wrote:
> On 16/08/2011 15:58, Nigel Deakin wrote:
>> I have created this JIRA issue
>> http://java.net/jira/browse/JMS_SPEC-49
>>
>> This issue was raised by Graham. As always, please do give your comments.
>
> I've received no comments either way on this. On the basis that there are no objections, I've now composed the following
> draft text (snip)

I've now updated the javadocs and the draft spec with these clarifications
(these changes are additive, so those docs include other changes).

The updated Javadocs are here:
http://java.net/projects/jms-spec/sources/repository/content/jms2.0/target/jms-2.0-javadoc.jar
(See updated javadocs for Connection.stop, Connection.close, Session.close, MessagingContext.stop, MessagingContext.close)

* The javadoc comments for the stop and close methods on the Connection interface have been amended to clarify that, if
an exception listener for the connection is running when stop or close are invoked, there is no requirement for the stop
or close call to wait until the exception listener has returned before it may return.

* Similarly, the javadoc comment for the close method on the Session interface has been amended to clarify that, if an
exception listener for the session's connection is running when close is invoked, there is no requirement for the close
call to wait until the exception listener has returned before it may return.

* The javadoc comments for the stop and close methods on the MessagingContext interface have been amended to clarify
that, if an exception listener for the MessagingContext's connection is running when stop or close are invoked, there is
no requirement for the stop or close call to wait until the exception listener has returned before it may return.

The updated draft spec is here:
http://java.net/projects/jms-spec/sources/repository/content/jms2.0/specification/word/JMS20.pdf
All changes are highlighted clearly with changebars.

The changes for this issue are to section 4.3.8 "Exception Listener":

* The existing text which states that a connection "serializes execution of its ExceptionListener" has been extended to
explain what this means.

* A note has been added to state that there are no restrictions on the use of the JMS API by the listener's onException
method.

In addition a new section 11.5.11 has been added which is the change log for this issue.

Nigel