jsr343-experts@jms-spec.java.net

[jsr343-experts] (JMS_SPEC-42) Make support for JMSXDeliveryCount mandatory

From: Nigel Deakin <nigel.deakin_at_oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2011 16:07:12 +0100

I have logged this JIRA issue:
http://java.net/jira/browse/JMS_SPEC-42

This issue was raised by Tom Barnes, though the wording below is my own. (This is the last

Tom: Since this property is already defined, I think I have captured your requirement fairly accurately. However if you
would like to clarify or expand on this requirement then please do.

--------------------

It is proposed that support for the JMS defined message property {{JMSXDeliveryCount}} be made mandatory.

The JMS 1.1 specification currently defines an optional JMS defined message property {{JMSXDeliveryCount}}. When used,
this is set by the JMS provider when a message is received, and is set to the number of times this message has been
delivered (including the first time). The first time is 1, the second time 2, etc.

Support for this property would allow arbitrary containers and applications to improve the way they handle "poisonous"
messages - messages which cannot be consumed for some reason and need to be redelivered. For example, it would allow
applications to detect when a message has been redelivered more than a specified number of times and perform some
special handling such as redirecting it to some other destination.

This property wouldn't need to be perfectly accurate every time. For example, it wouldn't be necessary to persist this
value in the server. A "best efforts" implementation would probably be adequately.