jsr343-experts@jms-spec.java.net

[jsr343-experts] Re: [jms-spec users] Re: JMS over CDI or something else?

From: John D. Ament <john.d.ament_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2011 08:41:27 -0400

I'm curious to know why you don't like the Seam JMS approach, personally. I
would love for it to be able to support @Inject Event<javax.jms.Message>
msgEvent; msgEvent.fire(myMessage); however creating messages is based on a
session, and the session and message are dependent in some cases, however
the CDI scoping requirements make this a little difficult to do (which one
of my goals is to make that work right), therefore we primarily support
basic object firing and no properties (though, I am currently working on a
JmsMessage implementation that supported the necessary payload and
properties, but it still requires a translation.

Some more comments in line...

- John

On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 5:44 AM, Adam Bien <abien_at_adam-bien.com> wrote:

> Hi Rüdiger,
> On 04.07.2011, at 18:42, Ruediger zu Dohna wrote:
>
> Hi Adam,
>
> On 6/30/2011 6:05 AM, Adam Bien wrote:
>
> On 29.06.2011, at 17:32, Rüdiger zu Dohna wrote:
>
> > most people on the EG seem to like the idea of using CDI events to bind
> to JMS. I like that idea, too, as I love CDI, but there may be reasons to
> use JMS without even that container. Namely starting the CDI context takes a
> noticeable amount of time, and this may be too much for some use cases.
>
> the startup CDI performance is only dependent on the implementation. The is
> nothing inherently slow in the CDI spec.
>

> There has to be done quite some class loading and scanning, hasn't it?
> Sure, only for the jars that contain a beans.xml, so this doesn't *have* to
> be a problem, but sometimes it can. Maybe performance isn't the reason
> either, maybe it's just that it's not *P*OJO any more.
>

> Whether it has to scan, or not, I really do not care when it is fast enough
> :-) I don't think it is an issue.
> What is actually the definition of POJO? No proxies allowed between or no
> bytecode extension?
>
> I would like to see a strong integration of all Java EE 7 specs and pruning
> all overlaps.

Well, when you're using CDI you already have a call back to all classes in
the bean archive, so that lets you filter it to what you're going to be
interested in.

> > I also prefer to have a verb for messages, not only a message object.
>

> > I.e. I prefer
>
> > createCustomer("Joe", "Doe")

> > event.fire(new CreateCustomer("Joe", "Doe"))
>
> O.k. but I would still allow to send messages via CDI.
>

> I love CDI, but I only like events. To me they feel somewhat foreign to the
> DI concept. They look cool, but the little experience I had with them was,
> that I often had to create a special message object class.
>

> Why not a Qualifier?
>
> A method just seems more intuitive to me.
>
> Maybe it's just that REST is so hip nowadays and everybody thinks of
> actions as some kind of resource. Don't take me wrong: I prefer REST over
> WS-* by faaaaaaaar! But I don't think that this approach is universally
> suitable to everything, either.
>
> Maybe there are good use cases for both. Maybe someone with a lot of CDI
> event experience has to answer this question: How often do you create a new
> message class only to a) group multiple parameters, or b) give the
> parameters the semantic context of a action name? Or how often is the
> message class already there and can be reused? If it's the former, I'd say
> that CDI events produce boiler plate code.
>

> In all my cases all event classes in CDI are just my domain classes. I use
> Qualifiers as replacement for topic names.

I'm curious how you're doing this, since there's currently an enhancement in
CDI to support forwarding the qualifiers when firing an event, since the
scoping rules are a bit unsavory (at least from my opinion).

> Then only an empty interface, annotated with e.g. @JMSSender would be
> sufficient, right? If yes, then (dynamic) proxy would implement the heavy
> lifting
>

> One of the first feature requests in CDI 1.1 (Java EE 7) is the support for
> interception of Abstract classes / interfaces:
> https://issues.jboss.org/browse/CDI-110?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=12589523#comment-12589523
>
> This would also solve this issue in a standard way.
>

> The interface would contain at least one method. The dynamic proxy would
> implement the heavy lifting of mapping the method name and the parameters to
> a JMS message.
>

> Or an interceptor / ServiceHandler. Why to re-invent the wheel?
>

> > And I don't think that we should force all JMS implementations to run
> outside of "their" environment, e.g. in plain vanilla Java SE. If we instead
> would make sure that all JMS client code really runs without any
> modification in any JMS implementation, that would be a *big* win. If the
> JMS implementations specify the exact environment they need, clients would
> be free to choose and change their minds at any time.
>

> What do you mean by " force all JMS implementations to run outside of
> "their" environment"?
>

> There was a suggestion on the list to force all JMS implementations run in
> plain Java SE. I don't think that's a good thing to require from all
> providers, as they now can simply rely on a lot of their infrastructure.
>
> +1.
>
> I'm not too sure what this means to be honest. If the issue is that a JMS
implementation should be bootable in an SE environment, then yes I think
that should be included. What that actually boots (e.g. a full web
container, EJB container, CDI container, etc) will vary.