jsr343-experts@jms-spec.java.net

[jsr343-experts] Re: (JMS_SPEC-25) Standardise the interface between a JMS provider and a Java EE application server

From: Nigel Deakin <nigel.deakin_at_oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 14:56:41 +0100

On 08/07/2011 17:01, Nigel Deakin wrote:
> I'd like to start a disscussion about this JIRA issue:
> http://java.net/jira/browse/JMS_SPEC-25
>
> This issue is about the best way to support the portability of JMS providers between Java EE application servers. At the
> moment there is no (mandatory) API that allows this to be done in a generic fashion which works with every such
> combination.

All responses I have received on this topic so far have supported making it mandatory for a JMS vendor to provide a JCA
resource adapter to allow their JMS client to be used from any Java EE application server. No-one has objected or argued
that this is an excessive burden on JMS vendors.

Some experts proposed making the existing Chapter 8 APi mandatory API as in addition to this. This remains unresolved
and will be considered separately as JMS-SPEC_26.

I feel we might be approaching our first decision-by-consensus! Unless anyone wants to jump in and disagree, I will
consider this agreed in principle, and we can move on.

I will now

* draft some suitable modifications to the wording in the JMS spec which I will ask you to review in due course
(actually trying to write the actual words may raise new issues of detail).

* consult the Java EE spec lead about any wider implications of adding this new dependency betweeen specs.

* add a note to this effect in the JIRA issue, and create a subtask to cover the task (for me) of drafting the necessary
changes for what will be the JMS 2.0 Early Draft.

Thanks,

Nigel