users@jersey.java.net

[Jersey] Re: Action-based MVC in JAX-RS.next?

From: cowwoc <cowwoc_at_bbs.darktech.org>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2014 12:20:32 -0400

On 03/06/2014 8:05 AM, Marek Potociar wrote:
> 1. Do you use server-side MVC in your projects today? If yes, how?

Very loosely speaking, yes. Some of my resources return a JSON or HTML
representation depending on whether the target audience (computer vs
user). So yes, technically speaking I have multiple views per model.

> 2. Is it a technology of the past in your opinion?

Technology of the past, no. But I think it has been overhyped for many
years. Most people seem to use it even when they only have one view per
model (which I think is a waste). I think we are far from a point where
*all* resources need multiple views and also far from the point the cost
of an MVC framework outweighs its benefits. This is a fairly trivial
piece of technology most people should be able to build themselves.

> 3. Do you think it is worth standardizing as part of JAX-RS.next?

No.

> 4. Do you have any other comments/feedback on the subj.?

Aim for modularity. I think only the core APIs should be bundled as part
of Java EE. Anything other technology that only *some* part of the
community uses should be left as an external plugin.

Gili