users@jersey.java.net

[Jersey] Re: Jersey MVC future?

From: cowwoc <cowwoc_at_bbs.darktech.org>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2014 14:03:15 -0400

On 22/05/2014 1:12 PM, Eran Medan wrote:
> Are there any plans to include Jersey MVC into Java EE 8 / 9 at some
> point? Is it on the roadmap?
>
> The only reason I'm using Spring and not full Java EE is that I can't
> put the JAX-RS path on the root without loosing "default" handling of
> html, servlets etc.
> E.g. my REST root has to be /something (e.g. /rest or /services) and
> if I put it at / then I "lose" the ability to simply return a JSP, or
> even a static HTML without leg work
>
> I think Jersey MVC is more "modern" than JSF and will have much larger
> adoption

I have nothing against Jersey MVC but I disagree with your proposal.
Instead of bundling the kitchen sink into Java EE, I'd much rather see
people plugging Jersey MVC and other features into an existing container.

In other words: improve ease of pluggability instead of bundling. Why?
Because historically, Sun/Oracle never removes anything it bundled in
the past (which is insane in my book) and as a result we're left with a
fat pig of a container that benefits no one.

Alternatively, get Sun/Oracle to set an expiration date on backwards
compatibility and remove features once they expire.

Gili