users@jersey.java.net

[Jersey] Re: Jersey 2.0 final?

From: Marek Potociar <marek.potociar_at_oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 21:33:47 +0200

On Jun 13, 2013, at 8:24 PM, cowwoc <cowwoc_at_bbs.darktech.org> wrote:

> On 13/06/2013 2:11 PM, cowwoc wrote:
>> ... I hope not. I was just about to start contributing changes for concurrent unit tests. If what you say is true I'm going to have to wait another 2-3 years for this feature :(
>>> ??? Why?
>>>
>>> Marek
>>>
>> Hi Marek,
>>
>> I am referring to the fact that Jersey 1.0 was released in December 2008 and I assume Jersey 2.0 will be released in 2013. In the interim 5 years, any enhancement request that required a breaking API change was put on hold.
>>
>> I'd be happy to be proven wrong on this point.
>>
>> Gili
>
> Marek,
>
> I hope you didn't misinterpret the above post as FUD because that is not my intent. I have contributed to Jersey for many years in the form of bug reports and patches. I genuinely want to work with you to improve the product. Now that Jersey 2.0 is officially out I'd like to get your feedback on how we can integrate the patches I posted on June 2011 at https://java.net/jira/browse/JERSEY-710
>
> I am more than willing to update these patches to Jersey 2.0 but I'd like your guidance on the kind of changes you're looking for. Would you accept these patches as-is (once they're updated to Jersey 2.0) or do you have other concerns to be addressed?
>
> Thank you,
> Gili

I think we should start by you opening a new github pull request for jersey for those patches (assuming you have signed OCA, which, if you contributed in the past, hopefully have). Once these commits pass our verification build, we will review them and either accept them "as-is" or add our review comments to the pull request asking you to incorporate those in the code. Once the commits are verified, reviewed and accepted, we will eventually merge the pull request.

I shall also mention that for any new major feature contributions it is now required that such contributions are accompanied with a dedicated chapter in our user guide and an example.

As for the types of contributions, we welcome wide range of patches:
- bug fixes, new tests
- documentation updates, translations
- standalone examples
- improvements (performance, configuration options, user friendlier APIs...)
- extensions & new standalone features (see the note on accompanying docs and example above), e.g.:
        - integration with other containers, client transports, injection frameworks, templating engines...
        - support for additional media types
        - bindings for other JVM languages

I'm looking forward to your contributions,
Marek

P.S. When I referred to FUD, I meant the general discussions whether Jersey 2.0 is out or not.