users@jersey.java.net

[Jersey] New project using Jersey purely for internal use (at the moment) - should we use 2.0 or 1.13?

From: Korny Sietsma <korny_at_sietsma.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 16:31:43 +1000

Hi folks,

We're just starting a new project and are looking to use Jersey internally
for a restful API within our project. We aren't making this externally
facing (at this stage) and don't have particularly high performance needs.
 (and our app isn't going to be particularly complex!)

The page at http://jersey.java.net/jersey20.html is full of warnings not to
use Jersey 2.0 on production-ready sites - but I'm also not sure about
using 1.x if 2.0 is not going to be backward compatible. Obviously it
depends on how long it is likely to be before 2.0 is stable, and how
radical the changes are likely to be in the meantime.

So, any projections on the likely future of 2.0? Our project is having a
first release in 3-4 months, and a more major release in 10-11 months - is
Jersey likely to be stable in that time frame? Are we going to face minor
tweaks to our code in future milestones, or bigger rewrites? (We'll be
TDDing everything, so not averse to some level of change, but obviously not
too much)

Thanks. And sorry if the answer to this is something obvious I've missed
somewhere!

- Korny Sietsma

--
Kornelis Sietsma  korny at my surname dot com http://korny.info
"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit