users@jersey.java.net

[Jersey] Re: Logging in Jersey

From: Philippe Marschall <philippe.marschall_at_netcetera.ch>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 18:13:46 +0100

On 12/08/2009 10:35 PM, Samuel Le Berrigaud wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> I think moving to slf4j would be great. One of the big issue with the
> JDK Logging is that it doesn't allow per webapp configuration, it a
> JVM wide configuration which means that configuring for one webapp
> could affect the logging of other applications running in the same
> JVM.
>
> This is a major drawback when you build an webapp and don't
> necessarily control the environment in which it will get deployed (our
> customers can chose how they deploy it). All we want/need is to enable
> our customers to configure the logging of our application without
> affecting other application or even the app server. For this reason I
> would strongly suggest moving away from JDK logging.
>
> slf4j is definitely the best choice for logging nowadays and those who
> want to ultimately use JDK logging still can with a minimal impact on
> performance, permgen etc.
>
> What do you think?

I second this. All frameworks and libraries that use a logging
implementation (eg. Log4j, jul or logback) are a pain to integrate. Sure
there are hacks to make it work, but they are painful and just that,
hacks. That's why logging bridges were invented ten years ago. These
days slf4j is the logging bridge to use.

Cheers
Philippe