users@jersey.java.net

[Jersey] converting GET to POST when path params are to long

From: Florian Hehlen <Florian.Hehlen_at_imc.nl>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2011 08:43:27 +0000

Hi all,

Warning: this issue breaks RESTful principles... but such is life

I have a situation where some of the possible more complex GET requests being done on my API are to long. These are primarily bulk requests for data and so I can split these requests into sub requests. This has the nasty effect of hindering performance which is the thing I am trying to avoid with these bulk requests.

Is there an easy way to convert a GET to a POST so as to avoid these kinds of problems and not have to support to completely different end points on the server side? I know this is not what POST is supposed to be used for but I really need to be able to handle these corner cases.

Cheers,
Florian

The information in this e-mail is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed.

It may contain confidential and /or privileged material. If someone other than the intended recipient should receive this e-mail, he / she shall not be entitled to read, disseminate, disclose or duplicate it.

If you receive this e-mail unintentionally, please inform us immediately by "reply" and then delete it from your system. Although this information has been compiled with great care, neither IMC Financial Markets & Asset Management nor any of its related entities shall accept any responsibility for any errors, omissions or other inaccuracies in this information or for the consequences thereof, nor shall it be bound in any way by the contents of this e-mail or its attachments. In the event of incomplete or incorrect transmission, please return the e-mail to the sender and permanently delete this message and any attachments.

Messages and attachments are scanned for all known viruses. Always scan attachments before opening them.