users@jersey.java.net

[Jersey] Re: SVN, GIT or MERCURIAL for Jersey 2.0?

From: Marek Potociar <marek.potociar_at_oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 18:53:21 +0200

Markus,
I wonder how did we get here. I was initially asking about SVN, Git or Mercurial... :) Btw., I have marked down your
vote for SVN.

As for the licensing issues, what I wrote earlier is my understanding. We include the link to the license in each and
every Jersey source file copyright header[1]. The same license is in the project source root, too. Note that in the
copyright header we clearly state that:

"The contents of this file are subject to the terms of either the GNU General Public License Version 2 only ("GPL") or
the Common Development and Distribution License("CDDL")"

To me, it is made explicit enough that you can really use the code in compliance with *either CDDL or GPL*. I don't
really understand how removing the license headers relates to that fact. Further, the copyright header provides hints
what to do in case of content modification or contributions. You can add your own copyright header to cover your
modifications or you can opt for a single license mode for your contributed content - particularly useful when
contributing code that contains pieces already licensed strictly under GPL.

Yet, I am a developer not a lawyer. So, if you still feel that you have any legal issues with using Jersey because of
it's license or if you are facing a problematic use case, I would suggest we take it off-line or you start another
thread at least. Once we have a separate discussion I can point Oracle legal to it. They should be able to provide you a
better explanation or assurance or suggest a solution which would work for your problematic use case.

Thank you,
Marek

[1] Source file copyright header:
/*
 * DO NOT ALTER OR REMOVE COPYRIGHT NOTICES OR THIS HEADER.
 *
 * Copyright (c) 2011 Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved.
 *
 * The contents of this file are subject to the terms of either the GNU
 * General Public License Version 2 only ("GPL") or the Common Development
 * and Distribution License("CDDL") (collectively, the "License"). You
 * may not use this file except in compliance with the License. You can
 * obtain a copy of the License at
 * http://glassfish.java.net/public/CDDL+GPL_1_1.html
 * or packager/legal/LICENSE.txt. See the License for the specific
 * language governing permissions and limitations under the License.
 *
 * When distributing the software, include this License Header Notice in each
 * file and include the License file at packager/legal/LICENSE.txt.
 *
 * GPL Classpath Exception:
 * Oracle designates this particular file as subject to the "Classpath"
 * exception as provided by Oracle in the GPL Version 2 section of the License
 * file that accompanied this code.
 *
 * Modifications:
 * If applicable, add the following below the License Header, with the fields
 * enclosed by brackets [] replaced by your own identifying information:
 * "Portions Copyright [year] [name of copyright owner]"
 *
 * Contributor(s):
 * If you wish your version of this file to be governed by only the CDDL or
 * only the GPL Version 2, indicate your decision by adding "[Contributor]
 * elects to include this software in this distribution under the [CDDL or GPL
 * Version 2] license." If you don't indicate a single choice of license, a
 * recipient has the option to distribute your version of this file under
 * either the CDDL, the GPL Version 2 or to extend the choice of license to
 * its licensees as provided above. However, if you add GPL Version 2 code
 * and therefore, elected the GPL Version 2 license, then the option applies
 * only if the new code is made subject to such option by the copyright
 * holder.
 */