users@jersey.java.net

[Jersey] Re: SVN, GIT or MERCURIAL for Jersey 2.0?

From: Markus Karg <karg_at_quipsy.de>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 15:52:53 +0200

The best to reduce barrier to entry would be: LGPL single licence and no
need to sign a contract with Oracle. I do not see anybody has an entry
barrier by sticking with SVN. You cannot send a pull request right now,
as you first have to sign a contract with Oracle, and then have to add
CDDL licence. Otherwise they do not accept your code anyways. GIT and HG
do not help in any way. Currently you have to send in a patch, and you
can create that with SVN very easily. GIT and HG makes only sense if
that organizational changes happen FIRST. And: ". It took a little time
to ramp up" does not sound like a change that a project should make
without a real need or expected benefit. Don't fix what is not broken.
Jersey's biggest drawback is the contract with Oracle, the CDDL and the
non-democratic leadership. It's problem is not SVN.

Regards

Markus