users@jersey.java.net

Re: [Jersey] Jersey at GitHub.com

From: Paul Sandoz <Paul.Sandoz_at_oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 07:59:56 -0700

On Sep 14, 2010, at 7:30 AM, Imran M Yousuf wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 8:16 PM, Paul Sandoz
> <Paul.Sandoz_at_oracle.com> wrote:
>> Hi Imran,
>>
>> How do you sync up with SVN, it is a manual process?
>>

> Hi Paul,
>
> I have a script running on cron job that does "git svn fetch && git
> checkout master && git merge git-svn && git push origin master". So
> you could say its semi manual.

OK, that is something we definitely could support automatically using
a Hudson job.

>> A bit of bureaucracy: if you accept contributions to the the git
>> bug repo
>> and then want to patch back to the SVN repo we need to ensure those
>> contributions are covered by the Sun Contributor Agreement. IANAL,
>> so i
>> dunno how the GPL+CDDL license plays with forks etc.
>
> No I will not accept any contribution. That is why I said "a mirror"
> rather than "a fork". The idea is people will play around in doing
> their work in git and submit the patches to Jersey Issues and go
> through the usual process of being accepted and into the SVN.

OK, understand better your rational now. I think "mirror" is a good
term.

>> Perhaps we should create a special location:
>>
>> http://github.com/Jersey
>>
>> and then we can also provide details on the relationship to the
>> java.net
>> repo, the SCA and license guidance?
>>

> Well this means having a new user which in this case should be
> "oracle" same as Apache (http://github.com/apache), so I am not in
> favor. In addition as it will be a mirror, IMHO, its not needed unless
> you insist.

I am not sure it needs to be like that, it could be just the name of
the project. For example look at Atmosphere or Scalate

   http://github.com/Atmosphere
   http://github.com/scalate/

For Jersey , it should just be the set of "mirrored" repositories to
java.net associated with the Jersey project. In this case we would
just have one for now.

That way you could clone from the Jersey one and we could managed the
syncing with SVN so you do not have to :-)

What do you think?

Paul.