users@jersey.java.net

Re: [Jersey] Re: Hangs when trying to read an entity

From: Imran M Yousuf <imyousuf_at_smartitengineering.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 15:30:35 +0600

Hi Paul,

On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 2:27 PM, Paul Sandoz <Paul.Sandoz_at_oracle.com> wrote:
> <snip />
> returning 204 then GET. I suspect it might if the HEAD response returns a
> 204 with chunked encoding.
>
> You should be able to easily verify if Jetty does that using curl.

Following is the output of the HEAD request using curl.

$ curl -X HEAD -v http://localhost:9090/
* About to connect() to localhost port 9090 (#0)
* Trying ::1... connected
* Connected to localhost (::1) port 9090 (#0)
> HEAD / HTTP/1.1
> Host: localhost:9090
> Accept: */*

< HTTP/1.1 204 No Content
< Server: Jetty(7.1.5.v20100705)
<
* Connection #0 to host localhost left intact
* Closing connection #0

Please let me know whether it is sufficient or not.

Thank you,

Imran

> Paul.
>
> On Aug 9, 2010, at 9:38 AM, Imran M Yousuf wrote:
>
>> Hi Paul,
>>
>>> There is a bug in HttpURLConnection where if you make a POST/PUT request
>>> and
>>> the server returns a 204 response with chunked encoding and you make a
>>> subsequent GET the client hangs. I cannot recall the bug number or if it
>>> was
>>> fixed in a JDK release.
>>> Did you make just one request or say a PUT then a GET?
>>
>> No there ain't any POST/PUT only GET operations. The resource class is
>>
>> http://github.com/imyousuf/smart-util/blob/rest-util/rest/atom/src/test/java/com/smartitengineering/util/rest/atom/resources/SomeDomainResource.java
>>
>> The resource uses Abdera Feed to deserialize Atom Feed.
>>
>> The DTO that is serialized as JSON.
>>
>> http://github.com/imyousuf/smart-util/blob/rest-util/rest/atom/src/test/java/com/smartitengineering/util/rest/atom/resources/domain/SomeDomain.java
>>
>> The test case that starts Jetty programmatically and makes GET requests
>> only -
>>
>> http://github.com/imyousuf/smart-util/blob/rest-util/rest/atom/src/test/java/com/smartitengineering/util/rest/atom/AppTest.java
>>
>> I knew about the bug from earlier google in context to PUT/POST, but
>> this problem was quite strange to me.
>>
>> Thank you,
>>
>> --
>> Imran

Imran M Yousuf
Entrepreneur & CEO
Smart IT Engineering Ltd.
25/5B, Block F, Haji Chinu Miah Road Bylane
Joint Quarter, Mohammadpur
Dhaka - 1207, Bangladesh
Email: imran_at_smartitengineering.com
Blog: http://imyousuf-tech.blogs.smartitengineering.com/