users@jersey.java.net

Re: [Jersey] Future plans for Jersey, JAX-RS and HATEOS support ?

From: Paul Sandoz <Paul.Sandoz_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 15:30:36 +0200

On May 20, 2010, at 3:13 PM, Morten wrote:

> Does any plans exist for extending JAX-RS and Jersey to have HATEOS
> support now that Marc has left ?

Yes, both client and server support is planed. We want to ensure that
we have stable releases in time for the GlassFish 3.1 release, which
means it needs to be stable by September:

   http://wiki.glassfish.java.net/Wiki.jsp?page=3.1Jersey

The client and server stuff is currently in the experimental section
and distributed only for snapshots until we are happy with the API.
Our experience with this API will be input to any JAX-RS 2.0 effort.

I think what Marc has done with declarative hyperlinking is reasonably
stable:

   https://jersey.dev.java.net/nonav/documentation/latest/user-guide.html
#d4e1173

we need feedback.

I like what Santiago did with the contextual action set.

   https://jersey.dev.java.net/nonav/documentation/latest/user-guide.html
#d4e1019

But Marc and I did wonder if the declarative hyperlinking mechanism
could also support the same concepts in a more general form to support
link headers.

The work that Jan and I have done on the client (strongly influenced
on my part by Santiago's work) is still in progress but i think the
general concepts seem to be mostly sound, and we need work on
integrating better with the Jersey infrastructure.

Again feedback is most appreciated and/or help on development.

> P.S. On short-time basis is there any viable solution for production
> usage apart from switching from Jersey ?

Not really. If you are happy with some of the experimental support you
could fork it for your own purposes.

Paul.