users@jersey.java.net

Re: [Jersey] Oracle Design

From: Igor Minar <iiminar_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 15:23:51 -0800

On Jan 29, 2010, at 4:16 AM, Paul Sandoz wrote:

> On Jan 29, 2010, at 11:52 AM, Markus Karg wrote:
>
>> I don't like the new red ORACLE-style design of the community wiki
>>
>> http://wikis.sun.com/display/Jersey/Main
>>
>> Can't we instead use a neutral one? I mean, red headers everywhere…
>> looks like the web site of Jersey's Fire Brigade. ;-)
>>

> Unfortunately there is not much i can do about that. (I did check if
> it was possible to edit the style to at least lower the contrast,
> but there is no such option.)
>
> Personally I have always found the high contrast between red and
> white very jarring and distracting on my eyes (perhaps i need to
> adjust my monitor?) and i suspect from an HCI perspective it is
> probably discouraged for online documents.

I'm personally not happy about how some of the Oracle web design
guidelines were applied to *.sun.com sites either, but up until now we
didn't have an opportunity to do anything about it. Now that the deal
is closed and Oracle and Sun employees can talk freely, I hope that
there will soon be an opportunity to suggest changes that would be to
the benefit of all web visitors. We'll see if we have any success.

cheers,
Igor
wikis.sun.com