users@jersey.java.net

Re: [Jersey] Best Practice for Returning Exceptions

From: Paul Sandoz <Paul.Sandoz_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 13:37:51 +0000

On Jan 21, 2010, at 1:03 PM, Cemo Koc wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there a best practice to return exceptions from resources. I am
> using
> Jersey 1.1.5-ea.

Three choices:

1) catch the exception in the resource method code build/return a
response;

2) throw WebApplicationException; or

3) throw any other type of Exception and use an exception mapper.

> It could be great for example forwarding exceptions in different
> servers
> with all stacktrace and resource information like requested
> parameters,
> requested URI etc...

I think such behavior is definitely application-specific so you may
need to define ExceptionMapper implementations for the relevant
exceptions if you want to separate that from the resource methods
themselves.

Paul.