users@jersey.java.net

Re: [Jersey] Releasing Jersey 1.1.5 on the week of Jan 18th

From: Tatu Saloranta <tsaloranta_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 15:31:46 -0800

On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 11:26 AM, Markus Karg <markus.karg_at_gmx.net> wrote:
> Tatu,
>
> No I understood very well, but you did not carefully enough check the
> version range I have written... see below.
>> You said that you would use, say "all version between 2.0 and 4.x" are
>> fine.
>
> No I did not.

for: You can set e. g. [1.1, 1.1.5][3.0, 4.0) - or even easier: [1.1, 4.0)

Ok, so it was 1.1 through to 3.9.9.9. Yes, I was off by fraction of a
version here.

> It's not about talking past each other, it's about you not talking about the
> range I proposed but about *any* range. Still this is a discussion about the
> proposal of Paul doing a gap between 1.1.5 to 3.0, remember?

If and when it is only about specific versioning for Jersey, then I agree!
I did think that you were trying to argue for more general
applicability of large version ranges and was curious as to why you
would suggest this can be done in more general cases.
Clearly I misunderstood what you were saying.

For specific case where limited effect of major version bump is
understood this can be done, as soon as it is documented. The only
thing I was trying to say originally (wrt Jersey) was that this will
still affect version compatibility range definitions done prior to the
decision. I did not mean that it would be a huge hurdle, or block
proposed change; just that that is one (minor) downside. That is all.

Apologies for prolonged discussion everyone,

-+ Tatu +-