users@jersey.java.net

Re: [Jersey] hypermedia.. our greatest dream ...

From: Santiago Pericas-Geertsen <Santiago.Pericasgeertsen_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 09:01:43 -0500

Hi Felipe,

 Thanks for the feedback. See inline ...

> Santiago is focusing on WADL, a controversial approach since the REST
> community reject the need of any external contract for REST style
> architecure.

 As Paul has said, WADL is just an option. If you read the goals, you'll see that we want to support the non-WADL cases. But there are tradeoffs.

> I know that even the smart guys over there become a bit
> religious sometimes, but I would vote to focus on the annotations
> instead of WADL based HATEOAS...
>
> more precisely I would like to see the next states
> (@ContextualActionSet) extracted automatically instead of manually
> coded.. (or customizable)....

 This is intrinsic to the application logic. I don't see how it could be done automatically by the runtime system. Care to elaborate?

> It is very nice to see Jersey moving toward a 100% REST ready
> framework.. but hypermedia is still a sharp thing...
>
> let's see...
>
> in few days I will present Jresey at Jfokus, speaking briefly about
> REST as well.. I hope to hit the best target over there.. and bring
> back in the luggage a set of new ideas :)

 Great, please share your ideas :) BTW, the wikis are bit out of date compared to the implementation. I'll update them in the next few days.

-- Santiago