users@jersey.java.net

Re: [Jersey] Releasing Jersey 1.1.5 on the week of Jan 18th

From: Mathias Brökelmann <mbroekelmann_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 14:29:02 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

I've looked at the recently merged osgi branch and run some tests with it.
Here are the things I think could be improved:

Personally I think it is better to add the bundle manifest headers to the
original codebase and not in separate artefacts. The code which is osgi
related - for instance the modifications to the jersey ServiceFinder class -
should be inlined into the main artifacts. Otherwise it will be hard on
future updates since two codebases must be maintained.

IMO modifying RuntimeDelegate of the standard API is not necessary. Jersey
could use an Activator in the jersey-server module which creates the jersey
RuntimeDelegate instance and inject it into
RuntimeDelegate#setInstance(...).

Overall the OSGi implementation works very well in my tests. I'm currently
working on an integration module which tracks javax.ws.rs.core.Application
services from the BundelContext and registers an instance of the jersey
servlet container for it into an HttpService. This is already working with
the current jersey osgi bundles. If you think that this could be a
contribution to jersey I would like to do so.

Cheers,
Mathias