users@jersey.java.net

Re: [Jersey] REST service returning Map collection

From: Paul Sandoz <Paul.Sandoz_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 10:11:40 +0200

On Sep 25, 2009, at 6:54 PM, Saavedra, Gisella wrote:

> Can somebody point me to an example or article, if it exists,
> containing a code snippet returning a Map collection, something like
> @GET
> @Produces({"application/xml"})
> public Map<String, String> getAttributes(…) { }
>

> just receiving a Map object at the client side, or returning an
> object that contains the Map?
> No JSON.
>
> I will appreciate it.

Herak provides some helpful examples.

If using the Jersey client API, but not using JAXB, then you will also
require a message body reader to de-serialize the XML to a map
instance. For such a case it will be easier to deal with a type that
extends from HashMap<String, String> so that you can avoid having to
preserve the generic types that would otherwise be erased.

So one could do:

  Client c = ...
  WebResource r = c.resource(...);
  MyMap mm = r.get(MyMap.class)