users@jersey.java.net

Re: [Jersey] REST service as SNTP service

From: Craig McClanahan <Craig.McClanahan_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 11:18:56 -0700

Saavedra, Gisella wrote:

> I run a few instances of an application. I need the different
> instances to be in sync (clock time of server boxes). Somehow the IT
> people don't always synch the boxes before deployment.
>

> Is it possible or does it make any sense to write a REST service that
> emulates the "get time" of a particular node, the node servicing the
> request (returning the time considering the network lag time)
>
> or something like that. So I can compare the requester time against
> the time that comes back from the requested node (considering the
> network lag time).
>

> In a few words, does it make sense trying to make a REST web service
> kind of an SNTP service?
>

> Or would somebody suggest looking at something else?

Time sync should not be an application developer's problem. To me, it
would make more sense to go ahead and configure Network Time Protocol
(NTP) on all your servers, so they will keep themselves in sync
automatically. NTP support is available pretty universally on Unix
servers, and Google points out several implementations for Windows as well.

Craig