users@jersey.java.net

Re: [Jersey] using Lift templates with Jersey (was Re: [Jersey] custom TemplateProcessor not having its constructor injected?)

From: James Strachan <james.strachan_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 17:01:26 +0100

2009/4/24 Paul Sandoz <Paul.Sandoz_at_sun.com>:
> On Apr 24, 2009, at 12:15 PM, James Strachan wrote:
>>
>>> I have just completed the JAX-RS 1.1 integration and we are going to cut
>>> stable 1.1.0-ea  (we are calling it "ea" because EE 6 is not final) next
>>> week.
>>
>> BTW the jersey-scalar changes are very trivial and low risk (so far
>> just one implementation of MessageBodyWriter<NodeSeq>) - how about
>> adding the scala stuff to trunk as they will be ready to release next
>> week,
>
> Go for it!

Will do, thanks :)

>>> I still want to explore this:
>>>
>>> http://blogs.sun.com/sandoz/entry/using_scala_s_closures_with
>>
>> Ah great stuff! I'd missed this post. (I'm now catching up on your
>> previous scala blog posts... :)
>>
>> Yeah I'm sure there's loads of ways we can simplify both client side
>> and server side handling of invariants/entity tags/conditional
>> processing and so forth with Scala. Am sure pattern matching can be
>> very helpful too (and on the client side too to conditionally process
>> if/when results are returned).
>>

> Yes, i think we could probably create a new type of client API inspired by
> the Java client API but leveraging many Scala features. I suspect we can
> reuse the Java-based low-level handlers (reusing the HttpURLConnection,
> Apache Client API and JAX-RS integration) but the builder stuff could be
> reworked but yet may be compatible in terms of syntax for easy conversion.

Agreed. Spotted this BTW which shows a neat way of doing higher level
APIs to RESTful services which are JSON based...
http://databinder.net/dispatch/About

more here
http://technically.us/code/x/weaving-tweed-with-scala-and-json/

as does this
http://technically.us/code/x/pour-some-sugar-on-httpclient/

FWIW I've not found a definitive Scala -> JSON encoder yet, so was
gonna leave that bit out of jersey-scala for now. Though there are a
number of good parsers for JSON using pattern matching (such as
Dispatcher)

--
James
-------