users@jersey.java.net

Re: [Jersey] Jersey 1.0.3 released

From: Tatu Saloranta <tsaloranta_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 09:07:17 -0700

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 8:54 AM, Richard Wallace <rwallace1979_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Anyways, even if the Jersey OSGi integration isn't perfect I don't
> think you should throw the baby out with the bath water with the
> jersey-bundle jar and remove all the manifest headers.

I agree. For other projects I'm involved with, OSGi headers are added
even if services-introspection isn't available: you can still
instantiate implementation directly, or using injection-dependency
framework.

> I'm also curious if you guys ever tried something like is mentioned in
> this blog <http://gnodet.blogspot.com/2008/05/jee-specs-in-osgi.html>.
> I know it was brought up on the list before, but it doesn't seem like
> anything came of it. If you'd like I can try patching Jersey and see

For me the best suggestion (from comments there was) using a simple
OSGi-services based solution. But that needs at least de facto
standard between implementations of specific standard; and ideally a
standard from within JSR in question.
With Stax, for example, I did implement OSGi services based
alternative included in Stax2 extensions (so far implemented by
Woodstox and Aalto), and that was rather straight-forward. But the
next step (settling on one approach, standardizing it) is the hard
part.

-+ Tatu +-