users@jersey.java.net

Re: [Jersey] documentation of service

From: James Strachan <james.strachan_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 11:48:49 +0100

2009/4/1 Paul Sandoz <Paul.Sandoz_at_sun.com>:
> On Apr 1, 2009, at 10:41 AM, James Strachan wrote:
>
>> BTW I struggled with xml-maven-plugin et al - so I hacked up a little
>> maven plugin that just applies the WADL XSLT which is gonna be in the
>> same little OSS project too if folks are interested...
>>

> Very nice! Looking forward to seeing this.
>
> I have investigated some more around issue 223 and did try to come up with a
> generic solution but could not make it fit nicely for an extensible solution
> (although i admit i did not spend a huge amount of think time on it).
>
> Perhaps this type of functionality really does need to be a separate
> project/module? i think i would be more comfortable with that rather than
> embedding it within the server module.

Yeah - I kinda figured the couple of (trivial) resource beans & JSP
files and tags were maybe a bit too specific to be in Jersey -
certainly in the core. e.g. on the projects I'm using this plugin
we're also using SiteMesh - so the JSP can just return basic HTML that
then gets styled properly etc. So as an experiment I spun up a little
project to host it and so far its working OK.

The only down side currently is - since its using the maven war plugin
(to kinda make an overlay for your WAR) to install the API JSP/tags -
it along with the Jersey configuration of the WADL stuff does tend to
break the 'mvn jetty:run' goal - though 'mvn jetty:run-war' works.
(I've not had chance to dive in and figure out exactly why). I'm
wondering if I can figure out a way to conditionally disable the API
browsing if using 'mvn jetty:run' (which is awesome for RAD
development BTW).

Anyway as soon as I've a public URL I'll post it here :). Its not
radically different from the previous patch I attached to Jersey's
issue tracker if folks can't wait that long :)

--
James
-------