users@jersey.java.net

Re: [Jersey] Struts-like population of form beans

From: Kevin Duffey <andjarnic_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 12:50:48 -0800 (PST)

Kind of jumping in half way here.. but I actually recommended someone to use Jersey over other MVC frameworks to build both a MVC and REST capable web app. I like how it's possible to build MVC using Jersey and meanwhile support REST too. Frankly, for my own stuff.. this is how I will proceed from now on.

That said, I like the idea of allowing beans populated from form data. I take it Jersey will have to automatically determine that if something like:

public Response handleFormData(User user){
}

where User is NOT a JAXB object..but instead an actual bean... Jersey can determine this correct? I didn't dig deep.. but I thought JAXB objects have various @XmlType annotations in it.. where as a regular bean would have nothing of the sort.. .maybe that would make it easy enough for Jersey to determine it's not a JAXB class. Just a thought... but I would see this as a great addition to allow for a bit more MVC like framework out of Jersey. However... is that starting to take Jersey into a direction of being more than a REST framework... even though it could be... is it trying to be too much? For me.. no.. but I could see how many may argue that Jersey is becoming a bloated framework and not sticking to its core REST capabilities.