users@jersey.java.net

Re: [Jersey] Hello World! and Welcome to jersey-multipart

From: Craig McClanahan <Craig.McClanahan_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2008 00:15:41 -0800

Robertson, Jeff wrote:

> Isn't javamail required to be provided by a JEE server? That could be
> a reason to use it instead of something you'd always have to bundle
> with the app.

JavaMail is indeed required to be available for a J2EE (older) or Java
EE (newer) app server.

> Of course that only helps people deploying in a full blown server.

That's only true for an out-of-the-box deployment of something like
Tomcat or Jetty.

Every servlet container I'm aware of provides a mechanism for you to add
JAR files to the set of libraries that are made available to *all*
webapps that are deployed on that container. For example, on Tomcat
4.x/5.x, just put javamail.jar and jaf.jar into
"$TOMCAT_HOME/common/lib". On Tomcat 6.x, use "$TOMCAT_HOME/lib"
instead. You'll find some similar capability for all the other
containers too.

Craig