users@jersey.java.net

Re: [Jersey] JAX-RS/EJB 3.1 Integration

From: Paul Sandoz <Paul.Sandoz_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 16:50:49 +0200

Hi Reza,

On Sep 24, 2008, at 4:22 PM, Reza Rahman wrote:

> Paul,
>
> I have a little bit of breathing room at the moment and would like
> to restart this discussion in earnest.

Thanks for persisting with this.

> I found someone potentially very good to give you a hand with this
> if you are still interested. Indeed, he is senior enough such that
> he doesn't really need any help from me per-se. The gentleman's name
> is Rob Di Marco and he is a long-time Java EE consultant and a good
> friend of mine. He certainly has a good deal of comfort with EJB 3
> and JAX-WS and has had some recent exposure to JAX-RS. He would
> definitely be interested in becoming a Jersey committer.

Great!

> Should I go ahead and have him connect up with you? Is it most
> appropriate for him to join the developer mailing list or should he
> start here?

Join this list. We do have a dev list as well but it rarely gets used.

> To get the conversation started solidly, could you kindly outline
> what you would be looking for him to do and what a tentative time-
> frame would be? Is it primarily coding, testing or documentation
> help (fine either way, just would like to have an idea in advance)?

In general i think the scope is open to anything related to getting
better EE integration and communicating how it is achieved.

We are going 1.0 is about 2 to 3 weeks so in the short-term documented
examples for EE 5 are probably the best thing.

In the long term i think it would be most useful to track what is
required for JAX-RS 1.1 that aligns with EE 6 and work together on JAX-
RS EE 6 integration.

I was thinking about this area again and was wondering what the ideal
EE 6 approach would be with JAX-RS. NetBeans 6.5 beta has support for
generated resource classes from entity beans. If the spring framework
is included in the Web Application then Spring-based transactional
support with annotations is utilized. It would be really good to
achieve the equivalent thing with EE 6 with EJBs/WebBeans (i still
don't have a clear picture of how the two will fit together for EE 6).
As i understand from what you told me about EJB 3.1 not requiring
interfaces and packaging in the Web tier it looks possible to get
close to this.

Paul.