users@jersey.java.net

Re: [Jersey] NPE on ServletContainer startup: 0.9-ea

From: Paul Sandoz <Paul.Sandoz_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2008 17:56:23 +0200

Ryan Heaton wrote:
> Nice. Using the jersey-server module seems to have fixed the problem.

Great.

> I really like the modularization.

There is more to do :-) in terms of modularization and then tidying up
the interfaces between some modules (namely between the core and
server/client). The end result should much cleaner but it is going to
require some package name changes.

> I tried to follow the user group
> thread on this, but didn't get a full explanation of each of the
> modules. Some are self-explanatory, but what are the following
> modules?
>
> jersey-contribs

Parent module for contributions.

> jersey-bundle

A bundle contains all jersey related jars for JAX-RS and Jersey
features. It is available for developers that do not use Maven's
dependency system.

> jersey-project

The top level of the project.

> jersey-tests

Mostly functional tests.

> I can guess that "jersey-project" is the NetBeans/Eclipse/IDEA
> support.

Not just that, the pom.xml contains common stuff that is inherited by
child modules. If you want to build and install the whole project,
either from an IDE or a command line you can invoke maven on the pom.xml.

> And assuming the "tests" module is for unit tests, why would
> it be packaged in a module?

The tests are really functional tests that utilize the JUnit framework.
I think it useful to provide the compiled code and source for tests for
others to run and verify.

Paul.

--
| ? + ? = To question