users@jersey.java.net

Re: Summary/proposal for spring integration

From: Paul Sandoz <Paul.Sandoz_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 12:46:42 +0200

Martin Grotzke wrote:
>>> Then application-defined is only a part of the scenarios that
>>> ApplicationDefined is used for.
>> I see what you mean, it is really about Jersey defining the scope, where
>> Jersey is the (web) application.
> Yes, this is an issue of wording/terminology. I thought an application
> would the users application and not be the JAX-RS part (e.g. jersey). I
> had a look at JSR-311 spec 0.7 but couldn't find a clear separation
> between the JAX-RS application and the consumer/user application /
> software (the part that provides e.g. a ComponentProvider (that uses
> some IoC-container), resource classes etc).
>
> What would you say is the right wording for this?

I have tried to make the distinction between SPI and API.

The SPI aspects extend Jersey but such SPIs are not exposed to
application developers using the Jersey/JAX-RS API. In this respect you
will not find anything in the spec as we have not specified any such
SPIs. Thus a ComponentProvider is a service-based interface that a
application developer should never use.

If you like we can turn the wording into the type of instance Jersey the
runtime requires of a component provider:

   - singleton, one instance per jersey runtime instance
                (one instance per WebApplication instance).

   - new instance (prototype?)

   - undefined, let the component provider decide

Paul.

--
| ? + ? = To question
    Paul Sandoz