users@jersey.java.net

Re: spring-integration tested and described

From: Paul Sandoz <Paul.Sandoz_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 12:50:07 +0200

Martin Grotzke wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-04-22 at 14:28 +0200, Paul Sandoz wrote:
>> On Apr 21, 2008, at 9:55 PM, Martin Grotzke wrote:
>>> As the spring-package has a dependency on jersey, I would say that
>>> jersey must have been installed in the repo that is used by hudson, I
>>> think this will be the only requirement.
>>>
>> Hmm... are the tests using Jersey 0.7? I am guessing the tests are
>> not depending on any API changes you made e.g ResourceContext.
> No, tests for this are implemented in jersey itself.

OK.

> I just wanted to mention it, so that it's clear that the nightly build
> of jersey should also install jersey as an artifact in the maven
> repository that is used for the jersey-spring build.

We don't have nightly builds (yet). We currently have:

  - latest builds, built every time a set of commits is detected; and

  - stable builds, the artifacts of which are pushed to maven.

I would prefer if we can test the spring stuff every time a set of
commits is detected to the Jersey repo. Rather than doing it on a
nightly basis, as we can catch failures and resolve them much faster.

>> The spring tests need to depend on the latest built artifacts from
>> the jersey directory. Do we need some "maven glue" for installing
>> jersey.jar et. al. to the local file based repository? e.g. look at
>> the maven/pom.xml that creates the jersey and 311 poms and uses the
>> version obtained from the build.properties.
> Yes, we need this. I think s.th. like a simple exec in the maven dir
> with executable mvn and argument install should be enough.

Can that be configured in a pom.xml and done by maven itself? Could we
supply a pom.xml with the jersey distribution that installs the jars
locally?

That way we could configure the spring Hudson task to depend on the
jersey Hudson task. The former will obtain the built distribution from
the latter, run mvn on say "install-pom.xml" to install the jars.

Would that work? or am i complicating matters?

> I just had a look at the build.xml and found the target
> "push-to-maven-prepare" - what is this and has it anything to do with
> the things we are talking about?

Only if we want to push nightly builds to maven. There is a little
java.net tool that listens to SVN commits to that location and then
pushes updates to the java.net repo.

>>> What about the maven groupId "com.sun.ws.rest" and the artifactId
>>> "jersey-spring"?
>>>
>> Currently we use "jersey" as the artifactId when we push stable
>> builds. Perhaps we should stick to that for now.
> Probably you refering to the groupId?

No, see here:

http://download.java.net/maven/1/jersey/poms/jersey-0.7-ea.pom

> When do you plan to change this? AFAIK the whole maven world is trying
> to fix things that were wrong when maven started, and one thing is to
> have fully qualified groupIds (unfortunately I couln't find a reference
> for this within 5 seconds, I just remember this).
>
> Perhaps this would be a chance to change the groupId jersey to a fully
> qualified one :)
>
>> Before we named the project we used "com.sun.ws.rest" and it sort of
>> stuck but i would prefer to rename packages to start with
>> "com.sun.jersey" and use that as the artifactId.
> Do you have an idea when you would change this?

We could do this for the 0.8 release. I think we should send a new email
giving a heads up about this, as it will be a rather disruptive change.

> Perhaps we could already use com.sun.jersey as groupId for maven then...

I don't have strong preference, but i would prefer to wait until we make
the actual change.

Paul.

--
| ? + ? = To question