users@jersey.java.net

Re: upgrading nb project files from version 5->6

From: Paul Sandoz <Paul.Sandoz_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2007 10:47:34 +0100

Farrukh Najmi wrote:
>> Paul Sandoz wrote:

>>> These are templates for pushing the stable versions to the java.net
>>> maven repository.

>>> We only put the 0.5 of the API in maven when we have fully
>>> implemented it in Jersey 0.5 stable release.
>>>
>>> So you have to use the 311 jar in jersey/lib instead which is an
>>> intermediate version between 0.4 and 0.5 of the API.
>>>
>>> We want to give people stable EG agreed versions to play with and
>>> provide feedback rather than intermediate versions.
>>
>> Perhaps we are all not in sync with maven conventions. An xx-SNAPSHOT
>> release means that the release is a pre-release and therefor
>> potentially incomplete
>> version of the next major release. So 0.4-SNAPSHOT is misleading since
>> the next major release is 0.4.
>
> Oops I meant to say "So 0.4-SNAPSHOT is misleading since the next major
> release is 0.5."

As you can probably guess by the following i am no maven expert :-)

"incomplete" in what sense, meaning it can change at any time?

What would be the correct convention for such stable early access
releases? the version without the suffix "-SNAPSHOT" ?

>> It will also cause problem with maven dependency management as maven
>> will consider 0.4-SNAPSHOT older than 0.4 release if there were one.

>>> Yes, for *stable* releases.
>>
>> Perhaps that was the intent but it seems to be working out rather
>> nicely for thos of us building on latest bits and wanting maven
>> modules built so we can depend on them.
>> Any reason there is danger in this unintended use model?

We are in a slightly unusual position in that we make changes to the
JAX-RS API as agreed in the EG and the RI catches up by implementing
these changes. We want to get as much feedback as possible on the API by
way of people playing with the RI but don't want to confuse people with
intermediate versions of the API that have been created for the purposes
of latest implementation.

The 0.5 Jersey version in the trunk does not fully implement the 0.5
API, it implements an intermediate version. Only when 0.5 Jersey goes
stable will it be considered to implement the 0.5 API. This is because
it is really hard to implement all the changes of the API from 0.4 to
0.5 in one go. I want to do it in small testable and incremental steps,
but don't want to push out intermediate and incremental versions of the
API for general use.

Would it help you if a "simple" pom.xml was in the jersey trunk for you
to directly use that links to the jars in the jersey/lib directory?

Paul.

--
| ? + ? = To question
    Paul Sandoz