users@jersey.java.net

Re: upgrading nb project files from version 5->6

From: Farrukh Najmi <farrukh_at_wellfleetsoftware.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2007 13:33:50 -0500

Paul Sandoz wrote:
> Farrukh Najmi wrote:
>>
>> It seems that there is some temporary maven build process in src tree
>> at the jersey/maven directory.
>
> These are templates for pushing the stable versions to the java.net
> maven repository.
>

>> I can open it in NB55 as a project and then build nicely installs
>> maven module poms and jars for
>> both jersey and jsr311. Only questionable thing is that it calls the
>> jsr311 module version to be 0.4-SNAPSHOT
>> instead of 0.5-SNAPSHOT. Perhaps someone can fix soon?
>>

> We only put the 0.5 of the API in maven when we have fully implemented
> it in Jersey 0.5 stable release.
>
> So you have to use the 311 jar in jersey/lib instead which is an
> intermediate version between 0.4 and 0.5 of the API.
>
> We want to give people stable EG agreed versions to play with and
> provide feedback rather than intermediate versions.

Perhaps we are all not in sync with maven conventions. An xx-SNAPSHOT
release means that the release is a pre-release and therefor potentially
incomplete
version of the next major release. So 0.4-SNAPSHOT is misleading since
the next major release is 0.4. It will also cause problem with maven
dependency management as maven will consider 0.4-SNAPSHOT older than 0.4
release if there were one.

>> So what we have gets maven folks to have a temporary alternative
>> though it is not giving the benefits that I cited to project team
>> until full mavenization of project is done at a convenient time.
>>

> Yes, for *stable* releases.

Perhaps that was the intent but it seems to be working out rather nicely
for thos of us building on latest bits and wanting maven modules built
so we can depend on them.
Any reason there is danger in this unintended use model?

--
Regards,
Farrukh Najmi