users@jersey.java.net

Re: upgrading nb project files from version 5->6

From: Farrukh Najmi <farrukh_at_wellfleetsoftware.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2007 11:46:31 -0500

Jakub Podlesak wrote:
> Hi Farrukh,
>
> maybe one stupid question on maven: is it possible
> to define a dependency on a jar file which does not exist
> in any maven repository already? I mean you might also
> want to depend on just a version of a jar which
> is not available...

A depency may be declared with a scope attribute of "provided" which
means that it is provided at runtime in the container somehow.

> I mean, such a move (e.g. to maven) is not only about
> benefits, but also about certain (possible) future
> constraints for the project, right?

I am not sure what you mean above but I guess it sounds right. One can
do anything they can do in ant in maven and much much more.
It took about 1 week of effort in a mavenization branch to move wadl
project to maven. Marc can perhaps cpmment on the experience.
In fact that project could be used as a sample for such a move. Please
note that I am under deadline these days so I cannot sign up for the task
even if dev team agrees to the proposal. I can however provide help to
someone who takes on the task.

Of course all this makes sense only when the dev team feels comfortable
and wants go for it.

Thanks.