users@jersey.java.net

Re: upgrading nb project files from version 5->6

From: Farrukh Najmi <farrukh_at_wellfleetsoftware.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2007 11:08:09 -0500

Jakub Podlesak wrote:
> Hi Farrukh,
>
> Nice idea. However i dont feel i have enough experience
> with maven to even only tell jersey project could benefit from
> such a change. It would be great if you could shortly
> summarize the benefits.

Sure - not sure how short I can be though...

<from an older email>

Maven is not just for building executables. It does far too many useful
things but if I were to pick
the most important one it is dependency management between versions of
components. We are all too familiar with the DLL or jar hell problem.
Maven goes a long way to make that thorny problem much
more manageable.

A few more immediate benefits I see are through the use of the following
maven plugins:

    * http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-resources-plugin/
          o Will help us automate the copying and filtering of resources
            from repo structure (no version in path) to distribution
            structue (with correct version in path)
    * http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-site-plugin/
          o Will help us generate the web site for our project in a
            consistent manner
    * http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-jar-plugin/
          o Will allow us to automatically create the jar file (a better
            zip file) for packaging our spec artifacts
    * http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-changelog-plugin/
          o Will automatically generate a change log between different
            versions of spec
    * http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-changes-plugin/
          o Will automatically generate a report from issue tracking or
            a change document for informing the user community about a
            new version
    * http://mojo.codehaus.org/appassembler/appassembler-maven-plugin/
          o Will automatically generate shell scripts for windows and linux for running applications packaged as jars. All classpath etc. is taken care of for you.
    * http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-surefire-plugin
          o Provides smooth test automation
    * http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-release-plugin/
          o Provides software release automation (very important time and error saver)
    * http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-deploy-plugin/
          o Provides software deployment to server hosting a public maven repository (very important time and error saver)
    * http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-site-plugin/
          o Provides automatic web site generation

The list is actually almost endless but my fingures tire ;-)

Surely we can do all of above manually (as we obviously have done very
well in the past).
The benefit I see of using maven is the standardization and automation
it provides to make
all of above become a mindless side effect of a standardized artifact
management system.

</from an older email>

> Regarding nb project files upgrade, to be honest the major change driver
> is a "fetaure" of netbeans 6 which is used to silently upgrade/rewrite
> nb5 project files to newer version without telling you.
> It can simply lead to "silent upgrade" of the project files
> in the repository...
> ...and well, i want to use the latest greatest netbeans anyway ;-)

No Objections. BTW maven projects work great in NB 55 as well as NB66
and require no changes to anything. It all driven by the pom.
All you need is to enable the mevenide plugin which ships as part of NB6.

--
Regards,
Farrukh Najmi