users@jaxb.java.net

RE: maven-jaxb2-plugin to renamed due to a trademark/naming convention issue with Apache

From: KARR, DAVID <dk068x_at_att.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 17:24:54 +0000

That’s just weird. Anyone can see that it’s logical to name plugins in ANY plugin architecture like “<AppWithPluginArchitecture>-<PluginName>-plugin”. Forcing people to reverse that is confusing. Consider “eclipse-maven-plugin” and “maven-eclipse-plugin”. It’s obvious to anyone aware of that convention that the first is a plugin for Eclipse that supports maven (even if the main plugin that does this is named differently), and the second is a plugin for Maven that supports Eclipse. They want you to name your plugin “jaxb2-maven-plugin”, so I guess that’s a plugin for jaxb2 that supports Maven, right? :)

Whether a plugin is “officially supported” should be determined more by its group id than the artifact id. When artifact ids conflict, that’s your only choice.