users@jaxb.java.net

Can I never use JAXB, even 1.0, with Java 1.4?

From: <Anthony.Holland_at_barclayscapital.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 20:05:55 -0000

Although the "1.0" settings will generate source that can be compiled
with the target=1.4 option, it can't actually be compiled with a 1.4
compiler because it must use the jaxb-api library, which has a class
version of 49.0, too progressed for a 1.4 jre to run. Even if the
generated source is compiled with a 1.5 compiler into 1.4 byte code, the
jaxb-api library is still needed at runtime and will still cause a class
version problem when run with a 1.4 JVM. There seems to be no solution
to this. In fact there seems to be a ghostly silence on the matter. The
JAXB 1.0 project has exactly the same problem, so there seems to be no
way to use JAXB at all with Java 1.4. Does anyone know or a way around
this please?