users@jaxb.java.net

Re: Maven 2 Jaxb2 plugin available.

From: Malachi de Ælfweald <malachid_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 08:49:23 -0700

Hi Kotis,

I was noticing that
https://maven2-repository.dev.java.net/source/browse/maven2-repository/trunk/www/repository/com/sun/
says:
tools/
<https://maven2-repository.dev.java.net/source/browse/maven2-repository/trunk/www/repository/com/sun/tools/>
 35 2 weeks maven2_publisher Removed old version of jaxb1 plugin. It wasn't
correct.
and the directory itself if empty. Any idea why it has been removed?

Yes, the new plugin is based on the XJC AntTask. There was much discussion
regarding this. I believe that the final decision to use the AntTask
instead of Driver.run was so that it would be easier to maintain in the long
run.

In theory, the only requirement to provide extensions should be to have it
on the classpath and provide the -Argument; however, that does seem to be
broken at the moment. Specifically, it appears to be a classpath problem.

I think, ideally, XJC itself needs to be extended (long term) to make it
easier for people to do common tasks, like adding interfaces to generated
classes.

If you'd like to take a look at the jaxb2 plugin source, and don't have
access, I am sure that Kohsuke can arrange it. As far as I am concerned,
the priorities should be (in order): 1. provide full functionality; 2.
provide access in maven-like way (most important when it comes to classpath
solutions); 3. as simple as possible

Thanks,
Malachi