users@jaxb.java.net

Re: Can I run a JAXB 2.0 developed application on a J2SE 1.4.2_10 runtime ?

From: Kohsuke Kawaguchi <kohsuke.kawaguchi_at_sun.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2006 14:28:43 -0800

Turadg Aleahmad wrote:
> Could JAXB2 work in JSE 1.4 if it was run through Retrotranslator?
> http://retrotranslator.sourceforge.net/
>
> The building could be automated with this Maven 2.x plugin,
>
> https://svn.mojo.codehaus.org/mojo/trunk/mojo/mojo-sandbox/retrotranslator-maven-plugin/
>
> I've had success with a codebase using generics, but I haven't tried it
> with annotations.

It isn't officially supported, but it actually works. Yes, use
retrotranslator.

You'd also have to use @xexplicitAnnotation="true" (for Ant) and use
-XexplicitAnnotation for CLI to work around some of the issues.

Let me know if you find any issue. Also, if you succeed, it would be
great if you can blog about it (or perhaps put an instruction on
java.net Wiki.) I think a lot of other poeple will find it useful.

--
Kohsuke Kawaguchi