users@jaxb.java.net

Re: supporting schema extension in JAXB 1.0

From: <jastrachan_at_mac.com>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 08:04:36 +0100

I'm so sorry, I should have been more clear. I just mean the xsd:any
and xsd:anyAttribute extension in schemas. The handling of these in
JAXB 2.0 is great; I'm wondering if there's some vendor
enhancement/hack I could use to do something similar in JAXB 1.0.

(e.g. WS-Addressing - works great in JAXB 2.0 - and OK in JAXB 1.0 -
though in 1.0 all the xsd:any / xsd:anyAttribute's are trimmed out).

On 11 May 2005, at 20:47, Kohsuke Kawaguchi wrote:
> jastrachan_at_mac.com wrote:
>> I understand that JAXB 2.0 handles schema extension (cool!) however
>> the dependency on Java 5 means I can't use it on a project :(. I'm
>> just wondering if anyone has ever managed (even in a non-standard
>> vendor extension kinda way) to manage to add attribute/element
>> extension into JAXB 1.0 marshalled code through some mechanism?
>> I'm trying to figure out a way of working as if JAXB 2.0 was here,
>> but support legacy Java 1.4 platforms until we can all move to JAXB
>> 2.0
>
> What do you mean by a "schema extension"? The inheritance of complex
> types? JAXB 1.0 models that as Java class inheritance.
>
> Or do you mean the use of xsi:type at runtime? JAXB RI 1.0 supports
> that as an extension [1] (although personally I don't recommend this.)
>
> [1]
> http://java.sun.com/webservices/docs/1.5/jaxb/
> vendorCustomizations.html#typesub
> --
> Kohsuke Kawaguchi
> Sun Microsystems kohsuke.kawaguchi_at_sun.com

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/