users@jaxb.java.net

Re: More JAXBElement

From: Kohsuke Kawaguchi <Kohsuke.Kawaguchi_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 18:12:42 -0800

Brian Pontarelli wrote:
> Yeah, I'm getting a JAXBElement<SomeRequest> returned from the
> unmarshaller rather than a SomeRequest. I just included the
> ObjectFactory code to show you what is being generated. The SomeRequest
> and Request classes look like normal JavaBeans and have the correct
> annotations. Just looks like the unmarshaller is doing something strange.

The fact that the unmarshaller returns JAXBElement<SomeRequest> is
actually by design. We are concerned about the usability implication of
this, but OTOH we need this to support 100% XML Schema --- the idea here
  is that JAXBElement captures the tag name, which could be changed as a
result of a substitution group.

So in general, the unmarshal method can return JAXBElement.

I'm curious what your thoughts are.

For this particular case, I think we changed the XJC since the WS-I TP
release so that it will not generate the code that uses JAXBElement, and
it will associate "someRequest" element directly with the SomeRequest class.

--
Kohsuke Kawaguchi