users@jaxb.java.net

Work-around for large schemas and <redefine> tag

From: Ed Trembicki-Guy <edtrembickiguy_at_iname.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 15:57:29 -0500

I have been working with a very large (>1Mb) industry-standard schema file, for which my company has added extensions via a second schema that uses the <redefine> tag.  The industry schema is too large for jaxb (it would exhaust available memory).  Also, jaxb does not yet support the <redefine> tag.

I have developed a set of xslt templates to work around this issue.  They are reasonably stable, so I thought I would share them with anyone else who might have similar requirements.  Essentially, they create an extract of the schema based on one or more elements that you define as the "root" for the new schema, while at the same time merging the primary schema and the redefinition schema.  The second pass is to filter a third schema file that contains additional elements that augment the schema.  The accompanying documentation explains how to use the templates and set command line arguments to override the default values.

I'm far from an xslt expert, so feel free to make changes as you see fit and please share any insights and optimizations.

Regards,

Ed