users@jaxb.java.net

Re: optional and nillable elemens

From: Kohsuke Kawaguchi <Kohsuke.Kawaguchi_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2004 17:12:50 -0700

OK, my apologies.

It does distinguish nil and absence for elements bound to classes, but
George was right that for elements bound to properties, both are simply
represented as null.

Thus, for now, I guess the only way to distinguish them is by using
<jaxb:class> customization to map those individual local elements to
classes.

> The business reason behind this is, that we have the use case of
> possibly transferring massives amount of data to the client. So the
> client can request which elements it would like to be returned, while
> these elements then still can be null.

If the client is choosing what elements it want to see in the response,
I think the server doesn't need to use nillable at all --- just omit the
element if it's null or not requested.

So I still don't quite follow the justification, but I guess that's none
of my business.

regards,
--
Kohsuke Kawaguchi