users@jaxb.java.net

RE: Re: xjc 20040405 uses 1.4 API

From: Lee Breisacher <LBreisacher_at_seagullsw.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 00:55:34 -0400

Sorry to continually be the bearer of bad news...

The NullPointerException has gone away - thanks for the quick fix on
that one!

Now I'm seeing some different strange results. I am getting
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError about half way through our ant build. A bit
more info: We have about 15 separate xjc tasks in one build.xml (and
nothing else - this is just for doing xjc code gen). When I run this
build with jaxb from 20031215, it works fine every time (well, not
exactly, but more on that later). When I run with the latest jaxb -
20040413, the second one from today - it fails with OutOfMemoryError
every time, after about 9 of the xjc's.

I have, of course, tried it with increased heap and stack sizes. I did
this:
        set ANT_OPTS=-Xmx1024m -Xss32m
I assume those are gigantic values and should easily be enough. I also
verified that ANT_OPTS is indeed working properly and getting passed to
the JVM for the ant execution.

One more possibly useful bit of info (the rest of this is referring to
"old reliable" jaxb build 20031215, not any of the recent builds): We
normally run this ant xjc build as part of a larger ant build (that does
compiling, jaring, etc). We invoke the xjc build like this:

    <target name="jaxbgen">
        <ant dir="jaxb" inheritall="false"/>
    </target>

which should (theoretically) be the same as invoking it separately.
Anyway, we have noticed in the past few days (we recently added a few
more xjc's to the build) that the ant xjc build fails with
OutOfMemoryError BUT ONLY when invoked as part of the larger ant build
(as shown just above). When invoking the ant xjc build by itself, it
works fine everytime (again, with 20031215).

So, please help! We've come to rely on jaxb and xjc, but we need it to
be reliable.

Thanks,

Lee