users@jaxb.java.net

Patching JAXB

From: Brandon Franklin <brandon_at_thoughtriver.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2003 04:39:55 +0930

So, with this new release of JAXB, which is AWESOME by the way...I think a
different problem is illustrated.

I know we've already discussed the bunding of JAXB with the larger JWSDP. I
understand the reasoning and I guess that topic's settled. However, it
seems that Sun might consider some kind of a slipstream patching approach,
at the very least for JAXB.

Consider that within less than 24 hours of this release, in this mailing
list alone there have already been bugs reported and fixed. What if they
were really serious? Would everybody have to wait for JWSDP 1.3 before the
fixes were seen?

What I'm wondering is if patch releases like JAXB 1.0.1_01 could be
integrated into the JWSDP release on the website without a big revision
process, and a "new release" and all that. JWSDP 1.2 was released with no
beta period, so there was no chance for us to find these problems before the
"official" release.

Would Sun be willing to consider that? Maybe even something like JWSDP
1.2_01? I don't know...but it seems like it would be a smart move.

Thanks,
-Brandon
 Thought River South