users@jaxb.java.net

Bundling of JAXB with JWSDP

From: Brandon Franklin <brandon_at_thoughtriver.com>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 13:22:53 +0930

Just for the record, I too would like JAXB available as a separate package.
I agree with some of your reasoning. I simply wanted to make the case that
it's not necessarily just a "marketing issue".

It seems like one approach Sun could take would be to make some of the JAX
packages available both as a bundle of "tested together" technologies, like
a framework, and then "component technologies" that are faster moving, a bit
more on the bleeding edge. At least while these techs are young, to give
them time to shape themselves during this crucial period.

On the other hand, Sun has often bundled outside technologies into a single
"megapack"...namely, the SDK. Consider stuff like Swing. Well, pretty much
anything javax. I mean, you could make arguments that each of those
subpackages should be released independently. The problem is, if you do
that you start getting a lot of specific configurations that don't work
right together, and that translates into confusion and a bad image for Java
itself.

I'm just saying both approaches have some merit. My personal opinion is
that while JAXB is young, it should be available as a separate download, and
then maybe later "hard-integrated" into JWSDP.

It really is going to be a hassle for those of us developing applications
that don't really need the whole JWSDP. We're going to have to require a
pretty massive download to use our application, and most of it will be stuff
that we don't even use. That's crummy.

As a side note, to Les...Java isn't actually "open source". It has source
that you can read, yes, but "open source" means anybody can change it, which
isn't true for Java. For more information, see:
http://www.opensource.org/docs/definition.php

-Brandon
 Thought River South