users@jaxb.java.net

Re: javadocs

From: Ryan Shoemaker - JavaSoft East <Ryan.Shoemaker_at_sun.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2003 14:47:44 -0500

Malachi de AElfweald wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Mar 2003 16:14:00 -0500, Ryan Shoemaker - JavaSoft East <Ryan.Shoemaker_at_Sun.COM>
> wrote:
>
>> AFAIK, this is the only online set of javadocs. What com.sun classes do you need to link into
>> the javadocs and why? As for the impl classes, we typically don't expect people to use these
>> classes directly which is why none of the samples generate javadoc for the impl packages. Oh,
>> is javadoc trying to pull in the com.sun classes because you are generating docs for the impl
>> packages?
>

> That's exactly it. I told ant to javadoc the-package/**, which does subdirectories as well.
> Realistically, I could exclude the impl directory, but.... think it would be better if the
> javadocs for them were included and worked.

Understood. Like I said, from the spec / portability perspective, your
client code should never import and use code from the generated impl
packages. As soon as you start using them, you throw portability out
the window and are locked into using that particular JAXB provider.

Having said that, if you really want to javadoc the impl packages, you'll
have to live with the javadoc warnings because the source code for the
com.sun libraries that our generated code depends on is not available.

Sorry,

--Ryan